Out of the box, Magento has a variety of basic features that can be useful for many sites. However, if you want to change something or add new features, you need to install the extensions. Magento extension is a module that is used to add extra functionality to a Magento website. There are multiple categories of extensions ranging from those that provide technical functions to those that optimize a site’s performance. For instance, you can install the extension, which adds a blog functionality to a site, or SEO toolkits that help to place a site higher in the search results.
Technical side of an extension
To create an extension, one must have specific developer skills and knowledge. Namely, a developer must understand the goals of an extension and the steps in building it on this platform. In a nutshell, a Magento extension consists of PHP and XML files in blocks, controllers, helpers, and models that create the functionality needed for a store. The Magento documentation provides extensive video and text instructions on how to create a module.
The primary notion in the development of Magento is the fact that the platform allows creating and customizing any type of module to meet the specific needs of an eCommerce store. Therefore, the developers who can build Magento modules/extensions are in high demand because they can create any solution that a merchant requires for the better performance of a store.
Most common types of extensions
Extensions Marketplace. Adobe
Besides the development, you can install a ready solution from the different marketplaces including the official one by Adobe. Usually, every shop has its demands regarding the functionality of a site depending on type of industry and operations (B2B or B2C). Nevertheless, there are some of the most frequently used ones that every store requires. In our article What Are Some of the Best Magento Extensions in 2022? , we described the most popular modules that could be helpful to launch a successful store. The most common types of extensions are considered to be:
- Payment gateways. The payment gateway extension is a crucial one because it is responsible for financial transactions. It allows making payments via popular payment services like PayPal, Braintree, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.
- SEO tools. The SEO extensions help to optimize a site to make it appear higher in the search results.
- Checkout optimizations. Creating a convenient checkout process is the key to making customers commit to making a purchase. Thus, the modules that enhance the checkout experience are very popular among B2C eCommerce stores.
- Cart abandonment tools. There are numerous extensions and ways to decrease the percentage of cart abandonment because it is one of the most critical issues among merchants.
- Analytics and marketing. With the extensions that provide the statistics on a store, a merchant can make the changes that will improve the sales strategy.
All in all, the Magento extensions are the modules that provide additional functionality to a store. They are absolutely necessary for the development of an eCommerce store with features that would engage more customers. Also, with the crucial modules for SEO, payment gateways, and cart abandonment tools, an eCommerce store can increase the conversion rate.