Nowadays, starting an eCommerce business has become much easier due to the SaaS platforms which offer complete solutions and provide the tools to make this business more efficient. Although every SaaS-based platform has its pros and cons for a particular type of business, it is undeniable that these platforms make the eCommerce business easy to launch and manage.
SaaS-based eCommerce platform
The idea of Software as a Service (SaaS) implies that a customer pays a monthly fee in exchange for the software solution, which is constantly supported and hosted by the providers. In the context of eCommerce SaaS platforms, the client selects the plan and receives the platform to build own store. Usually, these platforms include the hosted solutions, the technical support, and the selection of the themes and applications to run and improve the store.
The SaaS platform’s primary merit is that it can be accessed and operated from anywhere, just using a browser. Moreover, SaaS eCommerce platforms can be used by small-scale businesses without the need to have a technical background. Basically, SaaS eCommerce solutions provide all the necessary tools to run the business with ease. Considering the convenience of the SaaS platforms, even big-market brands use these services for their operations.
Advantages of SaaS platforms
Running an eCommerce store with one of the SaaS platforms has multiple technical and managerial benefits. Namely, the businesses choose SaaS solutions due to the following advantages:
- Affordable monthly fee. Since the store owners do not have to hire a technical specialist to create and maintain the store, paying a relatively small fee to have the full support and a ready-to-launch and -run store is a great deal.
- Easy to manage. All you have to do is add items to the store and manage the inventory. Also, different applications on SaaS platforms allow even more complicated operations like automated shipping, tax calculations, social media integrations, and marketing analysis tools.
- Security updates. The SaaS platforms are constantly working on protecting their clients from cybercriminals and providing the latest security patches that can counter the new hacking methods.
- Maintained and supported by the developers. By choosing one of the SaaS solutions, you don’t have to worry about hosting the store and the possibility that your servers might crash. The support from the platform would also help resolve any issues you have with the services.
Disadvantages of SaaS platforms
Despite the numerous pros of using the SaaS platform for eCommerce, there are still some drawbacks. For instance, these cons make the use of SaaS for eCommerce less attractive:
- Complicated customization. In order to modify the theme or implement the additional features, one has to get into the code or buy separate solutions.
- Expensive additional features. If you plan to scale up your business eventually, you will face the fact that the additional applications also require payment. The more complex your operations become, the more expensive it is to maintain all the functionality.
- Possibility of data loss. Unfortunately, the store owners who do not back up the data or have insufficient security tools might lose access to the site and would not be able to restore the store data they have collected.
Nevertheless, these disadvantages can be resolved depending on the resources that business has to run and customize the store. These drawbacks are also peculiar to other eCommerce solutions.
Using an SaaS platform for eCommerce is one of the most popular options for businesses of different scales. Mainly due to the notion that the hosted and maintained websites are easy to manage and operate. Even though they might require additional investments and customization for scaling the business, it is still more convenient, customizable, and secure than self-hosted eCommerce software.